Looking ahead to the Thanksgiving holiday — and the big shopping weekend — Influenster conducted a survey on shopping habits.
Influenster sent its poll to over 4,000 female Influenster community members. Of those surveyed, 78% were Millennials.
So, what were the results?
The majority of survey respondents say they plan to buy makeup and fragrances — however, the beauty category ranked second on their shopping list after clothing.
The survey reports that Gen Z is the age group most likely to shop for makeup and/or fragrances on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Seventy-eight percent of Gen Zers say they will be shopping for beauty products.
The top five "most wanted" makeup brands -- from all survey responders -- that bargain-hunting shoppers will be buying this holiday weekend are, ranked in order: Tarte Cosmetics, Urban Decay, ColourPop, MAC Cosmetics, and Benefit Cosmetics (shown in the photo above.)
What influences a purchase, most? Online reviews, followed by social media and last, brand websites.
Take a look at deeper insights into the data below, courtesy of Influenster.
BY THE NUMBERS...
What’s Everyone Buying -- On Black Friday?
- Clothing - 85.88%
- Cosmetics and Fragrances - 72.31%
- Electronics - 62.27%
- Shoes - 62.35%
- Home Decor - 54.15%
What’s Everyone Buying -- On Cyber Monday?
- Clothing - 72.41%
- Cosmetics and Fragrances - 63.63%
- Electronics - 62.27%
- Shoes - 52.45%
- Home Decor - 44.68%
Top Retailer/Brands Shoppers Plan To Buy in Fashion & Apparel
- 36.46% - Forever 21
- 23.52% - American Eagle
- 12.40% - Urban Outfitters
- 10.00% - Zara
- 6.50% - Free People
Top 5 Cosmetics Brands Shoppers Plan To Buy
- 27.65% - tarte Cosmetics
- 26.89% - Urban Decay
- 23.61% - ColourPop
- 17.61% - MAC Cosmetics
- 16.04% - Benefit Cosmetics
Top 5 favorite retailers to shop at on Black Friday, Overall
- 44.86% - Target
- 30.96% - Walmart
- 26.73% - Ulta
- 26.71% - Sephora
- 12.95% - TJ Maxx
The top retailers for online shopping this Cyber Monday, Overall
- 88.37% - Amazon
- 14.85% - Wayfair
- 13.66% - eBay
- 10.50% - ASOS
- 2.61% - Revolve
Who is shopping on Black Friday and Cyber Monday?
- 67% of all respondents plan on participating in both Black Friday AND Cyber Monday shopping.
- 14.94% plan on ONLY shopping Black Friday
- 13.59% plan ONLY shopping Cyber Monday
Of the 3.5% of respondents who are choosing to skip Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales...
- 49.02% don’t feel they have the budget to shop
- 39.87% can't take the Black Friday madness/crowds
- 18.95% don’t trust that Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales are the best
Personal versus Holiday Shopping
- 78.19% of shoppers this Black Friday plan on doing both holiday and personal shopping.
- 76.55% of shoppers this Cyber Monday plan on also doing both holiday and personal shopping.
- 47.80% Black Friday AND Cyber Monday shoppers plan on getting ALL of their holiday shopping done during these days
When Shoppers Plan To Wake up for Black Friday Deals
- 38.89% of this year’s Black Friday shoppers plan on waking up between 5AM and 9AM.
- 33.64% of this year’s Black Friday shoppers plan on waking up earlier than 5AM.
- 27.38% say they’re sleeping in
Checking Reviews Before Purchase
- 95.75% of people check online reviews prior to making online purchases.
- 83.89% of people check online reviews prior to making in-store purchases
Factors that Influence A Final Purchase On Cyber Monday
- 72.05% of Cyber Monday shoppers say that online reviews are the most influential factor on their purchases.
- 64.33% say that social media is the most influential factor.
- 40.99% say that brand websites are the most influential factor.
- 40.88% say that word of mouth is the most influential factor.
- 7.25% say that TV and mail catalogues are the most influential factors (TIED).
Factors that Influence A Final Purchase on Black Friday
- 65.53% of Black Friday shoppers say that online reviews are the most influential factor on their purchases.
- 61.14% say that social media is the most influential factor.
- 40.78% say that word of mouth is the most influential factor
- 37.41% say that brand websites are the most influential factor.
- 12.54% say that mail catalogues are the most influential factor.
Searching for Deals Ahead of Time
- 92.72% of Cyber Monday shoppers have been searching the internet for deals ahead of the big day.
- 92.64% of Black Friday shoppers have been searching the internet for deals ahead of the big day.
Poll Data is by Influenster
Photos above: Foundation makeup from the Rainforest of the Sea Collection by Tarte; Vice Lipstick by Urban Decay; eyeshadow by ColourPop; lipstick by MAC Cosmetics; and Brow Zing by Benefit Cosmetics.