New categories, an updated presentation format with DJs providing music, and supplier differentiation distinguished the 25th Annual Cosmetic Executive Women (CEW) Beauty Awards, held May 17.
On the supply side, Kobo took honors in the CEW and New York Society of Cosmetic Chemists (NYSCC) award collaboration; and an open stage, sans dais, featuring DJ twins, Angel and Dren, lent a celebratory vibe to the ballroom at New York’s Hilton.
Scroll down for the complete list of winners.
Jill Scalamandre, Chair, CEW, described the day’s event as “the beauty industry’s signature platform,” noting the addition of expanded indie, wellness, and influencer categories. “This year, we have no dais, but we have invited two DJs to shake it up a bit,” she said, introducing Angel and Dren, who held court center stage as the afternoon unfolded.
The CEW Beauty Awards luncheon recognizes the year’s most innovative new beauty products. This year, winners were named across 46 categories, and drawn from more than 1,000 entries, representing 500 brands.
The event drew more than 1,100 people to the venue, and sponsors included Firmenich, Arcade Beauty, QVC, Beauty Inc, Financo, DSM, kdc/one, CVS Pharmacy, MM.Lafleur, YouCam Makeup, Albéa, RPG, Anisa, MaCher, RpR Marketing, Amazon Beauty, Unilever, P&G Beauty, Nielsen, Cosmoprof, New York Society of Cosmetic Chemists, Consultancy Media, Suite K, Pims, WWD, Moblty, Preen.me, NPD, and Ernst & Young.
Influencers, Indies, and Wellness
Award highlights of the event included a fresh look at the impact of ingredient technology, influencers, and indie standouts. On the formulation side, KOBO Products Inc. 4-in-1 Multi-Purpose Sunscreen Cream took home the honors in the new Ingredients and Formulation Supplier Award category, a result of the partnership between CEW and the New York Society of Cosmetic Chemists. The product is designed to provide broad spectrum protection from UVA/UVB rays for the face and neck, neutralize uneven skin tone, and is especially tailored for subtle skin luminosity and natural appearance.
Another new category, the Rising Influencer Award, in partnership with Preen.Me, went to Inessa and Alina of The Vike Twins (@theviketwins) and Kate Fleming (@the.skincare.diary), for their influence in the makeup and skin care categories, respectively. In the Indie Hair category, Nancy Twine, Founder of Briogeo, took the honors, for Briogeo Hair Care, Be Gentle, Be Kind Kale + Apple Replenishing Superfood Conditioner.
In response to the growing wellness trend, CEW added new award categories for Beauty Wellness Supplements and Aromatherapy. HUM Nutrition Inc. took home the Beauty Wellness Supplement Award for Collagen POP, a dissolvable collagen and Vitamin C tablet that is designed to firm and hydrate the skin; and Naturopathica received the Aromatherapy Award, for its Chill Aromatic Alchemy, an essential oil blend designed to promote relaxation.
Beautycounter received the Indie Brand Award, which acknowledges the brand with a complimentary spotlight booth at 2019 Cosmoprof North America.
Loli Beauty Inc. received the Sustainability Excellence Award, which recognizes a brand within the beauty industry, taking steps to achieve sustainability. The award was established to encourage all beauty brands to take steps in that direction.
Ingredients, Naturals, and Devices
Plant-based actives were recognized for their efficacy among award winners, including, Shiseido’s Ultimate Power Infusing Concentrate, the Anti-Aging Prestige winner, which powers its formula with botanical extracts of reishi mushroom and iris root; and Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Supercharged Complex, the Best Seller Prestige winner, which includes such fruit extracts as watermelon, apple and chamomile, in its ingredient profile.
Drunk Elephant C-Tango Multivitamin Eye Cream, which features cucumber, strawberry, apple and kiwi, took the award for Best Eye Treatment product; and Beauty by PopSugar Be Sweet Tinted Lip Balm SPF 15, with extracts from green tea, blueberry and hibiscus flower, took honors in the Indie Makeup category.
The naturals trend was highlighted by Musc Imperial by Atelier Cologne, the Niche Fragrance Award winner, for developing a formula from 89 percent renewable natural origin ingredients; while Kopari Beauty Coconut Shower Oil’s naturally-derived formula with 100 percent pure, organic, sustainably-sourced coconut oil, took the award for Bath and Body Prestige winner.
Weleda’s Skin Food Body Butter, the Bath and Body winner in Mass, featured a seal from NATRUE, created by the International Natural and Organic Cosmetics Association, which certifies natural and organic cosmetics.
Cosmetic winners included L’Oreal Paris’ Longwear Waterproof Brow Gel, the Eye Product Mass winner; and Shiseido’s Kajal InkArtist 4-in-1 Liner, was the winner in the Eye Product Prestige category. BareMinerals’ BAREPRO 16-hr Full Coverage Concealer, designed to be crease-proof and waterproof for up to 16 hours, took home the honor in the Face Product Prestige category.
There was a tie in the category of Skincare tools, with BeautyBioscience receiving the honors for its Rose Quartz Roller, and Clarisonic, receiving its award for Clarisonic Mia Smart. In the Hair Tools category, Dyson’s Airwrap™ Hair Styler took home the award.
All of the award winners will be able to display the CEW Beauty Award seal on their product packaging, collateral materials, and social and e-commerce platforms, to distinguish their products as best beauty award-winners.
Carlotta Jacobson, President, CEW said, “After 25 years, the CEW seal of approval continues to help consumers navigate the beauty aisles to make informed purchase decisions. As the only awards program selected by industry insiders, we provide winners with credibility and have become the industry’s most important recognition.”
See the winners listed below - or here with photos at CEW.
Winners of the 2019 CEW Beauty Awards
ACNE TREATMENT (Blemish Busters)
- First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Acne Clearing Pads with White Clay
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Retinol Oil
- Shiseido Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate
- Naturopathica Chill Aromatic Alchemy
- Weleda North America Skin Food Body Butter
- Kopari Beauty Coconut Shower Oil
- Rodan + Fields ENHANCEMENTS Active Hydration Body Replenish
- Perfect Corp. YouCam Makeup Platform
- HUM Nutrition Inc. Collagen POP
- Olay Whip
- Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Eye Supercharged Complex
- First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Acne Clearing Charcoal Cleanser with Probiotics
- L'Oréal Paris Unbelieva-Brow
- Shiseido Americas Kajal InkArtist
- Drunk Elephant C-Tango™ Multivitamin Eye Cream
- L'Oréal Paris True Match Super-Blendable Multi-Use Concealer
- bareMinerals BAREPRO 16-Hour Full Coverage Concealer
- Madison Reed Light Works Balayage Highlighting Kit
- Living Proof Restore Dry Scalp Treatment
- Drybar Hot Toddy Heat Protectant Mist
- Dyson Airwrap hair styler
- Oribe Côte d'Azur Incense
- essie ballet slippers
- Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II
- Briogeo Hair Care Be Gentle, Be Kind Kale + Apple Replenishing Superfood Conditioner
- Beauty by POPSUGAR Be Sweet Tinted Lip Balm SPF 15
- Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask
- KOBO Products Inc. 4 in 1 Multi-Purpose Sunscreen Cream
LIP PRODUCT - MASS (Seal It With A Kiss)
- Sun Bum Tinted Lip Balm
- MAC Cosmetics Powder Kiss Lipstick
- Charlotte Tilbury Beauty Collagen Lip Bath
- IT Cosmetics Heavenly Luxe Bye Bye Foundation Brush #22
- method sea + surf body wash
- Christian Dior Parfums Sauvage Eau de Parfum – Christian Dior supplier
- YSL Beauty Y Eau de Parfum – IFF supplier
- Olay Regenerist Whip Fragrance Free
- Drunk Elephant Protini Polypeptide Cream
- Butter London Peel-Off Glitter Lacquer
- Atelier Cologne Musc Imperial
- Mineral Air
- Alina and Inessa, @theviketwins
- Kate, @the.skincare.diary
- BeautyBioscience Rose Quartz Roller
- Clarisonic Mia Smart
- Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40
- Loli Beauty Inc.
- Flower Beauty Pretty Deadly Jasmin Venom
- YSL Beauty Black Opium Eau de Parfum Intense