Fragrance industry insiders gathered at the new retailer in downtown Manhattan, Perfumarie, to hear the big reveal — the finalists in the 2018 Perfumed Plume Awards.
Perfumed Plume Awards co-founders Mary Ellen Lapsansky and Lyn Leigh announced the names, as guests sipped on fragrant Mango Blossom cocktails by party sponsor YaVe Tequila.
Voting Process & Criteria
An independent panel of judges voted, ballots were tabulated, and the 2018 finalists were determined by the highest percentage scores received based on the criteria for each category.
Mary Ellen Lapsansky says, “We owe a debt of gratitude and appreciation to the distinguished judging panel for their diligence and expertise in reading each and every creative scent story - carefully evaluating all elements of the criteria and voting accordingly.”
Lynn Leigh explains, “While the overall criteria of fragrance articles must focus on generic information about scent in an original, creative, unique style that engages and educates the consumer on the art and craft of fragrance, each category has its own standard.”
Scent Stories in Mainstream Media - both in the print and digital categories - are judged on the quality of editorial content; originality & creativity; accuracy & depth of information.
"Science of Scent Stories" in Mainstream Media - both print and digital - is all about the psychological benefits of fragrance usage; original, creative and unique style; and written in a ‘consumer friendly’ mode.
In the “Visualization of Scent Stories” category the overall design presentation, design concept and how design relates to content is the benchmark.
Update -- See the Winners
See who won the 2018 awards in our Online Exclusive, Perfumed Plume Presents Awards for Fragrance Journalism
The winners were revealed on April 11 at an awards ceremony at the Society of Illustrators in New York City.
“We sincerely thank ALL the writers who submitted the most wonderfully fascinating fragrance stories,” adds Leigh. See the finalists listed below.
Take a look at scenes from the party at Perfumarie in the Slideshow: Celebrating the Finalists in the 2018 Perfumed Plume Awards
Finalists in the 2018 Perfumed Plume Awards
SCIENCE OF SCENT STORIES — Mainstream Media / Magazines / Newspapers (Print and Digital)
- CaFleureBon: Scent and Healing: The Transformative Power of Perfume by Ida Meister, art direction by Michelyn Camen
- Racked: Here’s Why Perfume Descriptions Are Never About Smell by Elyse Hauser
VISUALIZATION OF SCENT STORIES - Overall Design Presentation
- Elle Magazine: Dream Catchers by April Long
- Scentury: Autumn EscENTIALS 2017 - Rebel Scents by Helder Suffenplan, Photography by Adam Goodison, Set Design by Pernilla Löfberg and Stephanie Webb
- Scentury: Summer EscENTIALS 2017 - Photography by Per Zennström, Art Direction by Helder Suffenplan
SCENT STORIES — Mainstream Media - Print (Magazines / Newspapers )
- ELLE Magazine: This is Your Brain on Vetiver by April Long
- Preservation in Print: Heaven Scent by Danielle del Sol
- Racquet Magazine (Quarterly Tennis Publication): Scent, Memory by Rachel Syme
SCENT STORIES — In Digital Media (Blog Postings, Webzines, Digital Magazines)
- Atlas Obscura: Ann Haviland, Forgotten Mastermind of the Signature Scent by Jessica Murphy
- Basenotes: Fragrance Spring Cleansing by Marian Bendeth
- CaFleureBon: Perfume Signatures: Edmond Roudnitska, The Greatest Perfumer of the 20th Century by Michelyn Camen and Mark Behnke
- Keap Matchbook Blog: Fragrance Transparency: Natural vs Synthetics by Stephen Tracy and Christophe Laudamiel
- Keap Matchbook Blog: Fragrance Transparency: The Incredible Artistry Behind The Creation of a Fragrance by Stephen Tracy + Christophe Laudamiel
- Mindmarrow: Copyright and the Five Senses - How to See Smell as an Artistic Expression by Catherine Haley Epstein
- Perfume in Progress: The Fragrance Creation Process: From Inspiration To Release by Laurie Erickson
- The Fragrant Journey: Travels In India: Part Three by Cynthia Lesiuk