Indie Beauty Media Group, publisher of Beauty Independent, announced the winners of its inaugural Beacon Awards during a live virtual celebration on Sept. 30th -- and Kjaer Weis won Best Packaging.
Shown above: Kjaer Weis Liquid Foundation, Concealer, and Cream Foundation
Marcia Kilgore won the Industry Icon Award, and Axiology was named Sustainability Champion. See the complete list of winners below.
The awards program recognizes innovation and excellence in independent beauty and beauty entrepreneurship.
Each Beacon Award category winner will be a focus of a feature published in Beauty Independent, to be released weekly for 15 weeks. The Beacon Awards are a separate and complementary program to Indie Beauty Expo's annual Best In Show Awards.
Rachel Brown, editor-in-chief, Beauty Independent, says, "Although the indie beauty segment has made inroads in the beauty industry, it's still dominated by legacy players. However, consumers are increasingly voting with their dollars for emerging brands that have unique voices, distinctive products and founders with compelling stories."
Brown continues, "Beauty Independent's mission is to focus on these emerging brands and the Beacon Awards celebrates them."
The editorial team at Beauty Independent selected 75 nominees across 15 award categories. Winners were then determined by a panel of 15 expert evaluators assigned to four evaluation committees based on their background and expertise.
The 2020 Beacon Award Winners
- Julissa Prado, Entrepreneur of the Year
- Marcia Kilgore, Industry Icon
- Kreyol Essence, Brand of the Year
- Odele, Brand Launch of the Year
- Olive & June's The Studio Box, Product Launch of the Year
- Touchland's Moisturizing Hand Sanitizer Mist, Product Development Innovation of the Year
- Kjaer Weis, Best Packaging
- Hero Cosmetics, Best Social Media
- Axiology, Sustainability Champion
- Spktrm Beauty, Inclusivity Champion
- The Detox Market, Large Indie Retailer of the Year
- Inside Outer Beauty, Small Indie Retailer of the Year
- Verishop, Online Retailer of the Year
- Unilever Ventures, Investor of the Year
- Topicals, Indie Deal of the Year