The Innovation Awards, now in its second year in New York, recognize outstanding achievements and encourage the industry to push the boundaries with technological and creative innovations in aerosol, dispensing, personal care and cosmetic packaging. The final winners will be announced at the ADF&PCD New York show at The Altman Building & Metropolitan Pavilion in Manhattan, at 4pm on September 6.
According to the show’s organizers, the shortlist consists of some of the most innovative products in the beauty and aerosol markets, including solutions from Hinterkopf, Verescence and Ball Corporation, on behalf of brands such as Bayer, L’Oréal, Kao, Estée Lauder and Coty.
Here’s the full shortlist:
ADF Personal Care
• COPPERTONE Whipped Lotion Sunscreen
• KANEBO Evita Beauty Whip Soap
• ROGER & GALLET Aura Mirabilis
ADF Industrial & Technical Suppliers' Application
• BALL CORPORATION L’Oréal Men Expert can
• HINTERKOPF D240&D120 New design capabilities
• BALL CORPORATION tactile Ball sample can
• AVEDA Tulasara Wedding Masque
• DIOR Hydra Life
• JIL SANDER Softly
• BOBBI BROWN Liquid Lip Art Stick
• MAC x Mariah Carey
• PRETTY VULGAR “The feathers” mascara
• GARNIER FRUCTIS renovation
• REDKEN Heatcure hair restoration
• PUREOLOGY line in 100% PCR
• CALVIN KLEIN CK One Gold
• JIL SANDER Simply Art of Layering
• NATALIE WOOD Eau de Parfum
An independent jury of packaging experts from leading brands, universities and organizations, as well the media, gathered in early July to judge the entries, and whittled them down to a final 18. The panel consisted of:
• Paul Austin, Austin Advisory Group
• Cynthia Hundley, Spray Magazine
• Lorraine Keyes-Ahart, Estée Lauder
• Detlev Melcher, Aerosol Europe Magazine
• Deanna Utroske, cosmeticsdesign.com
• Ian Nicholson, Colgate-Palmolive Co
• Eric O’Toole, PRATT Institute
• Bernard Quennessen, COTY
• Marianne Rosner Kilmchuck, Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT)
• Valery Vanstaan, PHD, ITW
“I really enjoyed participating in the ADF&PCD awards jury. It was very exciting to see the many innovations in materials, design, manufacturing methods, and decoration up for consideration for awards this year,” said Lorraine Keyes-Ahart, Clinique Global Package Development at Estée Lauder.
Ian Nicholson, Worldwide Director Strategic Innovation & Technology Alliances at Colgate Palmolive, was also impressed by the quality of the entries, stating: "The award submissions are great examples of creative companies seeking to better meet the needs of their users, which is essential in delivering superior business results."
The winners will be announced at a special Innovation Awards Ceremony during the show, led by master of ceremony Paul Austin. Each of the winners will present a short session on what makes the winning entry so innovative.
The ADF&PCD event will feature a line-up of over 130 suppliers, a two-day conference program, networking lunch and champagne reception.
Photo shows judges evaluating this year's entries.