The strategy is focused on rebooting its direct selling strategy, modernizing the brand, unlocking its digital and e-commerce capabilities, and driving a performance culture.
This comes after the news that Avon has closed its offices in Rye, NY.
Jan Zijderveld, CEO, Avon, explains, "We are excited to share our plans to Open Up Avon as we continue to build on the progress we have made in the last eight months...and begin a cultural transformation."
Zijderveld continues, "We have assessed our operations, our markets and value-creating opportunities, and are implementing a plan to make Avon more attractive to beauty entrepreneurs and accessible to more consumers. Critical elements of the plan are expanding recruiting and retaining more Representatives, capturing our share in fast growth areas, opening our eco-system to more third party providers, and ensuring we have the right team and execution rigor. We are confident that these efforts can increase shareholder value and position Avon to become the leading digital social selling beauty company."
Members of Avon's leadership team presented the core tenets of the strategy during its its 2018 Investor Day on September 21st. conference call.
The 'Open Up Avon' strategy is:
Pivoting to a New, Open Avon:
- Focusing on restoring competitiveness, modernizing and digitizing the Avon brand, and capitalizing on strategic breakout opportunities by:
- Recruiting and retaining more Representatives by increasing Her earnings and training with intent;
- Opening up access to all consumers anywhere, anytime;
- Capturing share in fast growth areas by expanding into those categories, markets and channels; and
- Managing our product portfolio, winning in all price tiers, expediting innovation both in-house and with outside partners.
- Leading a performance-based cultural transformation aimed at:
- Identifying news ways of working by enhancing speed and agility; and
- Injecting new capabilities within the sales organization and our digital initiatives.
Rebooting Avon's Social Selling Proposition:
- Segmenting communication and training for Her based on her intent and expectations;
- Providing her with products and tools that transition Her to becoming a trusted Beauty Advisor to Her customers; and
- Injecting new sales talent in key markets.
Modernizing Avon's Brand and Unlocking E-Commerce for the Future:
- Refreshing the brand identity to capitalize on Avon's strong brand recognition and provide relevant, on-trend innovative products; and
- Unlocking e-commerce, data and digital capabilities, as well as an open and simplified eco-system to increase access, reduce effort and provide tools to improve Her earnings.
Focus on Value Creation and Simplification:
- Avon also intends to outline near-term cost savings and capital investments to support the strategy and accelerate revenue and margin growth.
Photo above on right: Avon's CEO Jan Zijderveld on Twitter, @janzijd